16toMar16:00 to 15:00
› CMVic Music Camp 2018 at Grantville Lodge
CMVic Music Camp 2018
Grantville Lodge, 16-18 March 2018
Dive in and choose from a huge range of singing and music workshops for all ages and abilities, dance the night away at our Big Saturday Night Bash, join in with old favourites, share your skills with others or challenge yourself with something new - and don’t forget jamming round the campfire...
There are so many exciting singing, dancing, playing, building, jamming, parading (and eating, sleeping, walking, relaxing) opportunities for this year’s CMVic Music Camp that it’s hard to know where to begin!
A family-friendly event with more options for kids (of all sizes!) than ever before.
A host of fabulous leaders including Polly Christie, Jen Hawley, Emily Hayes, Brian ‘Strat’ Strating, Sarah Busutil, Jane Coker, Andy Rigby, Bruce Watson, Terry Cole (and heaps more!) plus the fabulous Royal High Jinx will take us on a journey through gypsy jazz, Latin beats and lots more, culminating in a huge ‘all in ensemble’ where everyone will share their new-found skills in an inspiring mass play.
Take a look at the full schedule of workshops (last updated 12-Mar-2018)
Come for a day or make a whole weekend of it - BOOK HERE NOW!
Join Community Music Victoria and friends old and new for a vibrant weekend of music making, singing, and dancing, with sessions and workshops for all tastes and abilities. A chance to learn, participate, exchange, and celebrate. Our venue is Grantville Lodge, overlooking Western Port Bay, where there's seven indoor venues, loads of beautiful outdoor bush space, with plenty of cabin accommodation, onsite camping, and awesome views. Choose fully catered or self-catering - and there's even a volunteer-run licenced bar on Saturday night, so you can help us raise vital funds for CMVic whilst whetting your whistle (literally!).
Where to start…?
- SING YOUR HEART OUT: Tons of signing sessions including songs from around the world with Polly Christie, harmonising with Barb McFarlane, singing with ukes with Margaret Crichton, and voice control with John Howard.
GOURMET GUITARS AND OTHER PLUCKERS: How to play great Gyspsy Jazz and other styles with Jen Hawley (Royal High Jinx). Separate workshops for beginners and advanced.
KIDS SESSIONS: Singing, band, percussion and marimba sessions for both pre-school and school age kids with Emily Hayes, Katie Hull-Brown, Alena Schneider, Sarah Mandie, and Paddy Gordon. Kids room set aside for other stuff too.
SONGWRITING: With the legendary Bruce Watson.
- FIERY FIDDLES: How to play great Gypsy Jazz and other styles with Sarah Busutil (Royal High Jinx). Separate workshops for beginners and advanced.
- UKE IT UP: Ukes and harmony singing with Margaret Crichton, strum and sing along sessions with Tanya Nolan, 'Ukeoke' with Bruce Watson (think karaoke with ukes - a CMVic special!)
- INSTRUMENTAL IMPROV: Ever wondered how those improvisers do it? - you'll be let in on the secret with Terry Cole (Royal High Jinx)! Already a confident improviser? - lots of new tips on offer too! Workshops for both less and more experienced.
'GROOVE IT': Put together great groove and backing for singers and front liners to play off - for bass, percussion, and any instrument playing a 'riff' (e.g. brass, accordions, strummers) - with Silas Palmer (Royal High Jinx).
- BLAST WITH BRASS: Fabulous new tunes for a brassy blast with Brian (Strat) Strating, Andy Rigby, + ensemble and groove sessions
- MARIMBA MAGIC: Get those cross rythms going on marimbas and brass with Andy Rigby.
- ACCORDION APPETISERS: Techniques to get a great sounds out of accordions and other squeeze boxes with Lyndal Chambers.
- BUDDIES FOR BEGINNERS: Where absolute beginners, or people wanting to try out a different instrument, may be able to get a one-on-one tutorial with a volunteer on their instrument of choice.
GROUP LEADERS AND ASPIRING LEADERS: Skills and repertoire sharing sessions for both singing and instrumental groups.
- ALL-IN ENSEMBLE AND PROCESSION: Fabulous new approach this year with specialist workshops feeding the ensemble in gypsy jazz and Latin styles. Session for everyone to play together culminating in a celebratory finale, capped off with a colourful parade for all. Led by Andy Rigby and Polly Christie.
- SATURDAY NIGHT PARTY: Gypsy jazz music and dancing to the Royal High Jinx, with plenty of opportunity to join in...some of the tunes will be shared nearer the time.
- PLUS IMPROMPTU SESSIONS GALORE: With some of your favourite CMVic people to help them along, including the fabulous Jane Coker, Tanya Nolan, and more - the beautiful chapel in the grounds will be available most of the time for impromptu sessions.
- CHILL SPACE: Feeling the need to sit down in a quiet space for a chat or on your own? Head to the comfy Jenkins Lounge..
And that's just the start...
This is a family friendly event - fun is a priority! Checkout last year's Grantville event here and take a look at what everyone thought about it too.
RAFFLE PRIZES: we will be holding a raffle again when all proceeds go towards helping to pay for this event - if you have anything you could donate please let us know.
Who should come?
- Singers and instrumentalists of all interests and abilities
- Old hands and complete beginners and everyone in between - this is your opportunity to pick up that instrument you've always had a yearning to try
- Singing / music group leaders and those interested in developing their own leadership skills
- Members of bands and groups linked to CMVic's projects, such as StreetSounds, 4M, Singing from Country, etc
- Everyone! This is event is open to everyone whether a CMVic Member or not. If you've never been to a CMVic event before then this is the one for you! If you can't make it for the whole weekend then just come for a fun day out of music making with others.
Grantville Lodge is in a beautiful bush location just 104km South East of the centre of Melbourne, overlooking Western Port Bay, with comfy double rooms, basic bunk rooms, and camping options; beautiful bush and beach walking, camp fires, and a small swimming pool for relaxation. Full catering (optional) will be laid on at an amazingly low price, and a large kitchen and dining hall will be set aside for self-caterers. Advance booking is required so book early to secure your place, especially if you want one of the sought-after private double rooms!
Prices have been kept to a minimum to encourage all comers, and the price for age 5-25s has been set at a very special low rate for this event to make it accessible for the next generation of keen music-makers. CMVic members, as always, receive 20% discount - so why not join now? Concession card holders also receive 10% discount.
Prices shown below for accommodation include Friday and Saturday nights (sorry, but there is no reduction available for a one night stay), and all workshops. All accommodation has shared bathroom facilities. Mattresses are provided in the private double bedrooms and bunks, but please bring all your own linen, bedding and pillows.
- Private double bedrooms have either a double or 2 single beds, and several have additional beds available for the price of a bunk bed. Adults and children age 6 and above in one of the extra beds in a private double room get a special rate, and a child under 6 is free, but may need to bring an additional bed/mattress.
- Bunk accommodation is clean and comfortable but spartan.
- Camping is in the oval near the buildings, and includes special low rates for age 25 and under and children. There are no powered sites available within the Grantville site, but there are nearby campgounds which you would need to book yourselves together with the day rate. Space is limited so be sure to book early! CAMPING NOW CLOSED
- Day tickets are also available.
If you have any mobility issues please contact CMVic before booking. All workshop venues are accessible and one of the accommodation buildings is accessible but we need to discuss your needs in order to make it the best possible experience for you. If you wish to book a bunk but need a lower one then please select that option.
Catering (Stop press - last few still left, book now!)
- Providers: This year provided by Grantville's own professional caterers - great value and choices - take a look at the menu here.
- All meals: This great package is a fantastic bargain and includes all meals and refreshments from Friday night till Sunday afternoon early tea. Take a look at the full menu here (coming)! When booking, please indicate if you want vegetarian as this helps with numbers. If you have any other dietary requrement please contact us. You can buy catering options up to a week before the event (caterers need to know numbers at that point).
- Self-caterers: There will be a kitchen/dining room made available for you, together with substantial fridge space.
- Tea and coffee: Will be available free all weekend for everyone whatever their booking type.
- Licensed bar: A great value fund raising licensed bar will be available on Saturday night where the party is located. BYO also okay over the weekend but support of the bar on Saturday night much appreciated!
- All of the scheduled workshops and sessions will take place in wheelchair accessible rooms. Some of the accommodation is wheelchair accessible, but please let us know if you require this as places are limited.
- Accommodation prices include all workshops, tea and coffee for the whole weekend.
- Concession rates of 10% are available for most categories if you hold a concession card (please send us you concession card number).
- But don't forget: if you are a CMVic member at the time of booking, you will be able to get the 20% discounted rate, so you will benefit by becoming a member. Join CMVic here. N.B. remember to login as a member before you continue booking to get your discount - if you need to renew then please pay your membership fee before purchasing tickets to ensure you get your discount.
- When you have made all your selections, don't forget to go to the cart and "checkout" to complete your purchases.
- When booking, please let us know if you would NOT like us to use any photos of the event in which you appear to be posted on the website or facebook.
- CMVic is a registered charity working on a really small budget, relying heavily on lots of fantastic volunteers. Please consider adding a tax deductable donation when booking.
Members (20% discounted rate) Non-Members CAMPING (per person) CLOSED Standard price $132 $165 Concession $119 $149 Age 6-25 $72 $90 Age under 6 $0 $0 BUNK ACCOMMODATION IN SHARED ROOM (Book here) Standard price $160 $201 Concession $144 $181 Age 6-25 $72 $90 PRIVATE DOUBLE BEDROOM (Book here) Standard price (price for 2 people sharing) $472 $590 Concession (price for 2 people sharing - one concession) $448 $561 Concession (price for 2 people sharing - both concession) $425 $531 For each extra person in the room (max of 2) Standard price $106 $133 Concession $96 $119 Age 6-25 $48 $60 DAY RATE (per person, includes tea & coffee) (Book here) Saturday Standard price $56 $70 Concession $51 $63 Age 16-25 $28 $35 Age under 16 $0 $0 Sunday Standard price $39 $49 Concession $35 $44 Age 16-25 $20 $25 Age under 16 $0 $0 CATERING - (Book here) - Stop press - last few still left, book now! All meals Standard rate (no concession rate) $95 $119 Child age 3-5 $40 $50 Saturday meals (lunch and dinner) Standard rate (no concession rate) $45 $56 Child age 3-5 $20 $25 Sunday meals (lunch only) Standard rate (no concession rate) $20 $25 Child age 3-5 $9 $11
Contact Name: Oli Hinton
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org