On 21st June 2018, in partnership with The Australian Music Association (AMA) and the Make Music Alliance, CMVic coordinated one of the biggest community music events in Victoria of all time!
This was part of the international Make Music Day 2018 when musicians in over 120 countries and 800 cities around the world turned public spaces into music stages. Tens of thousands of amateur and professional musicians, jazz combos, bands and orchestras and MCs came out to perform in streets, parks and public places; and schools were encouraged to showcase their music programs for the public too.
With French origins dating back to 1982, Fete De La Musique crossed the Atlantic 11 years ago with the debut of Make Music New York. In 2018 Australia joined the party!
Everyone interested in putting on a music activity somewhere in Victoria was encouraged to register online with CMVic. Groups were kept up to date with everything going on, where other activities were happening, and CMVic took an active role in promoting the activities and groups involved. We are now in the process of collecting photos and videos fromm participants so we can put together a short movie showcasing some of the highlights.
What happened on the day?
Below are some of the fabulous music making activities we know happened in Victoria on June 21st, all of which provided wonderful promotion for participatory music making and the benefits it brings to individuals and communities:
Christ Church Brunswick Open Rehearsal: 19:30-21:00 Brunswick
Caribbean Association of Victoria presents Caribbean Steel Rhythms together with The Boite Choir, 'Thursday's Children' 19:00-21:00 Northcote Town Hall, Northcote
- Morning Jam Session - Make Music in the Hills @ Emerald Community House: 10am
- Songs for Bubs Session - Make Music in the Hills 10-11am Emerald Community House
- Minstrels - Make Music in the Hills: Emerald 10:30-16:30
- Lunchtime Concert - Make Music in the Hills: Emerald Community House 11am-14:00
- Make Music In The Hills - Concert - Glades Aged Care Facility 13:30 Lifeview Glades Emerald
- Sing For Fun - Make Music in the Hills 14:00 Emerald Community House
- How to Jam - Make Music in the Hills: 15.00 Emerald Community House
- Afternoon Jam Session - Make Music in the Hills: 15:30 Emerald Community House
- Vocal Workshop - Make Music in the Hills 16:00-17:00 Emerald Community House
- Make Music In The Hills Evening Concert: 18:30-21:30 Emerald Performing Arts Centre
- Let's Make Music Together: A free event 16:00 Span Neighbourhood House, Thornbury
- Make Music Day Thornbury at Lentils 18:00-21:00 Thornbury Lentil as Anything
Melbourne Contemporary Choir 19:30-9pm Macleod
Sunshine Street Band & Brimbank Choir 18:30-20:30 St Albans Community Centre
Sing Strum and Shop 12.30-13.30 Mill Park Shopping Centre
Pop up sing song strum 13.00-13.30 Ross House, Flinders Lane, Melbourne
Princeton View Manor Allity aged care -International Music Day Concert 15:00 East Brighton
Open mic, guitar piano and and voice sessions at The Music Gym: 10:30-11:30 Galleria, e09/385 Bourke St, Melbourne
Galleria Live performance upstairs at the Galleria Food Court: 12 noon: Galleria, e09/385 Bourke St, Melbourne
Glee Club at the Pub 20:30 Burnley Brewing, 648 Bridge Rd, Burnley
Pakenham Secondary School Music Showcase 18:30 020 Princes Hwy Pakenham
That Girl Yarra Ranges Filming and flash mob (all day event until 3:30pm) Healesville
Guildford’s Big Night of Music as part of Make Music Day: 18:30 Guildford
- Hands on Drums Workshop: 19:00 Allwood Community House, Hurstbridge
- Drum Jam Basics and comfort zone survival techniques. 19:30 Allwood Community House, Hurstbridge
- Open Drum and Percussion Jam 20:00 - 21:15; Allwood Community House, Hurstbridge
- Baby Sensory Multi-Instrumental Music Class: 9:30-10:00 MINPAA Pascoe Vale
- Adult Ukuele Group 9:30-10:00 MINPAA Pascoe Vale
- Early Childhood Multi Instrumentalist Music Class 10:00-10:30 MINPAA Pascoe Vale
- Adult Guitar Group 10:00-10:30 MINPAA Pascoe Vale
- Kinder Multi Instrumental Music Class 10:30-11:00 MINPAA Pascoe Vale
- Adult Community Choir 10:30-11:00 MINPAA Pascoe Vale
- Kindergarten Class Song Performance 11:15-11:20 MINPAA Pascoe Vale
- Adult Piano Class 11:00-11:30 MINPAA Pascoe Vale
- Instrumental Performances 11:30-12:00 MINPAA Pascoe Vale
Make Music Day at Moe Plaza 10:30-13:45 Moe Plaza
- 10:30 -11:10: Lowanna Secondary College (MD David Williams OAM) 22 Moore St, Moe
- 11.15-11.35: Elizabeth Street PS Performers(Percussion) Jane Sultana 22 Moore St, Moe
- 11:40-11:55: Lowanna College Performers 22 Moore St, Moe
- 12:00-12:30: Latrobe Community Concert Band (conductor Anne Vinicombe) 22 Moore St, Moe
- 12:35-1:00pm: Coal Valley Male Chorus ( conductor Gay Michau) 22 Moore St, Moe
- 1.05 - 1.20pm Nicole Walker (cellist) 22 Moore St, Moe
- 1.25 - 1.45 pm Cameron Smith ( guitarist/singer) 22 Moore St, Moe
Make Music Day at Bernies Music Land! 11am - 16:00 381 Canterbury Road, Ringwood
- My First Classic Organ Lesson Workshop 11.00am - 11.30am Discover this majestic instrument and play your first song!
- My First Piano Lesson Workshop 12.00pm - 12.30pm Learn how pianos make sound, why they are all different, and play your first tune!
- My First Hammond Organ Lesson Workshop 1.00pm - 1.30pm Discover the insanely cool world of the Hammond organ and play your first fat riff!
- Players Afternoon & JAM! 2.00pm - 4.00pm Play us a tune, join in a jam or come along to listen!
Musical Story Time 13:00 Nathalia Library, 75 Blake St, Nathalia
Make Music Day Stringybark and Greenhide Nowa Nowa
Prahran Accordion Band 19:30-21:30 Club Tivoli, Windsor
You can also download a Make Music Australia program here (please note some additions/alterationst to details occurred since it went to print!)