› Portland Music Club News01/Dec/2019
Portland Music Club, Inc. QUICK NOTES, No.176, 1st December, 2019. President/Secretary: June Roberts, email email@example.com. 3305. Tel: (03) 5523 1054
Venue codes and Phone Nos. for booking and enquiries: HPAC Hamilton Performing Arts Centre 5573 0429; SRHT Helpmann Theatre Mt.Gambier (08) 8723 8741; LHT Lighthouse Theatre, Warrnambool 5559 4999; PorAC Portland Arts Ctr /Casterton/Heywood 5522 2263; BStM-G Basilica of St.Mary of the Angels, 136 Yarra St, Geelong, 0407 095 408 Jeannette. PRICES (IN ORDER) ARE ADULT – CONCESSION – STUDENT - FAMILY (2+2)
- Sun 1, 2pm-4 Hamilton Music in the Botanical Gardens. Local musicians. Music to suit all ages. Bring a picnic, some local wine & a blanket/chair. Enq. 0437 190 946.
- Sun 1, 2pm W’bool Merri Singers Christmas Concert in Uniting Church Hall, Koroit St. Tickets $15 include a program of great music & a legendary afternoon tea.
- WSun.1, 8pm LHT Wbl Leo Sayer with his All-Australian band: “Just a Boy 2019” $88.70
- Mon 2, 12.30pm BStM-G Free organ recital by Tom Healey (from St.Paul’s Anglican Church, Geelong)
- Thurs 5, 6.30pm LHT Wbl 2020 Theatre Season Launch $5 incl.drinks at interval. Showcase 2020 shows.
- Thurs 5, 7.30pm Hamilton Hamilton Film Group at Hamilton Cinema, Brown St., next to HPAC
- Fri 6, 2pm “ “ “ “
- Fri 6, 5.30pm Hamilton St. Mary’s Christmas Parade Late night shopping, entertainment, food, drinks and raffles, culminating in the lighting of Hamilton’s Christmas Tree. 5551 9000
- Fri 6, 7pm LHT Wbl Melissa’s Dance Elements: “Cinderella” & “Legends of Dance”
- Sat 7, 2pm “ “ “ “ Adult $30, Conc. $27, under 14 $22
- Sat 7, 1.30 & 7pm SRHT MJ Dance Studio “United we Dance” $35, Conc/Snr $28, under 12 $20
- Sat 7, 8pm HPAC “And So This is Christmas” – the Cabaret. pres. by Healy Doheny Productions. BYO nibbles & drinks and have a bit of a Christmas party with us. $25
- Sat 7, 5pm Geelong The Geelong Chorale “Magnificat” Music to celebrate Christmas. Venue: All Saints Church, Cnr Noble & Talbot Sts, Newtown. Prog. incl. Vaughan Williams: Fantasia on Christmas Carols & Rutter: Magnificat. Guest artists: Geelong Handbell Choir, Fiona Squires, soprano and Rodney Dearing, baritone with piano accompanist Kristine Mellens. Tickets $30, Concession $25. Enq. & booking 0407 095 408.
- Sat 7, 6pm Harrow Harrow Sound & Light Show $65 for dinner & show. SOLD OUT
- Dec 7,13 &14 7pm Mt.Gambier Theatre Group “Robin the Hood & the Babes in the Wood” in Wehl also Sun 8, 2pm St. Theatre. Cast of 25, with band accompaniment. $25, $15 Conc.& u/16
- Sun 8, 2pm Geelong “The Colours of Christmas” Geelong Welsh Ladies Choir and International Harvester Male Chorus, cond. By Jeanette Johns. At St.Luke’s Highton, Cnr.Barrabool & Scenic Rds. $15 incl. afternoon tea. 5243 9450
- Sun 8, 2pm Naracoorte Singers Christmas Concert in Town Hall. Gold coin entry.
- Sun 8, 2pm Millicent “Coffee, Cake & Carols” Millicent Choral Society at Uniting Church Hall $15
- Sun 8, Portland Community Carols at the Skate Park beside the Harbour near Trawler Wharf. 5.30pm Food court and Portland Citizens’ Brass Band; 6.30pm Carols program begins
- Sun 8, 7pm Allansford Carols with the Tin Shed Singers in Allansford Hall. FREE 5561 2291
- Mon 9, 12.30pm BStM-G Free organ recital by Dr. Andrew Blackburn (from Federation Univ., Ballarat)
- Tues 11, 11am LHT Wbl “Santa Claus is coming to Town” Melissa Langton, Drew Downing & opera/cabaret star David Rogers-Smith with a fun Christmas party. $20 or group 10+ $15
- Fri 13 at 7pm & Sat 14th, 2pm SRHT Maryke Dance Academy $30, Conc. or under 17 $18
- Fri 13, 7.30pm Geelong Handel’s “Messiah” at Costa Hall, Deakin Uni waterfront campus, Gheringhap. St. Melbourne Symphony Orch.& Chorus plus Geelong choristers. Prices range from $19 to $102. Booking at 1300 251 200 (Geelong PAC)
- Sat 14, 7pm HPAC Glenn Miller Orchestra details to be confirmed.
- Sat 14, 9am-3pm Hamilton “Celebrate Christmas in Hamilton” Festival at The Hub. Craft corner, Story-time, Wicked wildlife, AFL games, Face painting, Professional Christmas pantomime, Elmo, Big Bird, Cookie monster, Photos with Santa incl. a gift. FREE.
- Sun 15, 2.30pm Hamilton Hamilton Singers Christmas Concert at Good Shepherd Lutheran Church. Delightful mixed program and afternoon tea included. Tickets $15 5572 3535
- Sun 15, 7pm Camperdown 9 Lessons & Carols at St.Luke’s Church. “Cantori” Choir. Retiring offering.
- Mon 16, 12.30pm BStM-G Free organ recital by Chris Trikilis (Our Lady of Victories Basilica, Melbourne)
- Mon 23, 12.30pm BStM-G Free organ recital by Frank De Rosso (organist at St.Mary’s Basilica, Geelong)
- Fri 27, 1pm-6pm Port Fairy Music Fest with Arty Hoey and numerous bands. On Fiddlers Green FREE
- Sat 28, 3-4pm Port Fairy “Trio Dirty Girdy”. (bass, ukulele , kazoo, stomp boxes) Fiddlers Green FREE
- Dec. 28, 7.30pm Port Fairy Handel’s “Messiah” with professional soloists, choir, organ and orchestra, at St.John’s Anglican Church. All choristers familiar with the choruses welcome to join choir on the night. BYO score if possible. Tickets at door from7pm Seats unreserved..Adult $25, Family $50 Chorister $5
- Mon 30, Noon-3pmPort Fairy Music with Maz. Instrument making for kids to carry them in the Parade – lagerphones & more.. Workshop on the Fiddlers Green stage. FREE
- Tues 31, 6pm-7.30 Port Fairy Odd Socks Circus on Fiddlers Green. FREE. 8pm-9 Port Fairy Street Parade of “Moyneyna” Festival; 9pm-12 Port Fairy Live music: “Good Faces for Radio” on Fiddlers Green. FREE. Midnight Port Fairy Fireworks display.
- JANUARY 2020
- Thurs 2,11am-12 Port Fairy “Mik-Maks”Popular children’s entertainers on Fiddlers Green FREE. Also 2pm-3pm.
- Thurs 2 to Tuesday 7th, 6 days at the Lake School of Celtic Music, Song and Dance at Koroit. This year’s Lake School has the usual comprehensive list of classes for which you can book. They include (along with an Orientation for new students) 5-string banjo, DADGAD guitar, Irish language, ukulele, songwriting, Art shed, concertina, mandolin, singing, cello, poetry workshop, Youth ensemble, fiddle, harp, flute, bodhran, whistles, dance, reed-making, Irish breadmaking, pipes. There are also hotel house parties, Ceilidhe, various performances for special groups, the School photo and more fun than you can possibly imagine along with new friends to meet. Beginners and advanced players of instruments are catered for separately. Each class has a capped number of students. Tuition costs are:-Adult $250 Child aged 5-17 $140; Family of 2 adults & up to 5 children $550. Enquiries can be directed to with Margie 0418 661 029. email firstname.lastname@example.org or Felix 0413 801 294, email email@example.com.
- Sat 4, 10am-4pm Port Fairy Celtic Day on Fiddlers Green, Acts incl.Pipe Band, dancers, ”Twae Bards” FREE
- Sun 5, 2pm-4pm Port Fairy The Hot B Hines Jazz Band on Fiddlers Green FREE
- Mon 6, 6pm-7pm Port Fairy The Tin Shed Singers FREE music on the Fiddlers Green Enq 5561 2291
- Tues 7, 11am-1pm PortFairy Rhys Crimmin multi-talented one-man-band. Guitars,didgeridoo,kazoo and foot percussion. On Fiddlers Green. FREE
- Tues 7 to Sat 11 at 7.30 LHT Holiday Actors annual musical production. This year - “Mama Mia” with + Matinee on 11th. 1.30pm large cast and orchestra. $40, Conc. $35, Student $35, U/13 $30. Family $125.
January 10 to 19 Organs of the Ballarat Goldfields – 25th Festival of Fine Music in historic venues. A brilliant 10 day program of 23 recitals, ranging from intimate to massive events, plus some special Festival meals. A full program is enclosed with the mailed Quick Notes but if you have a computer, I encourage you to see website: www.ballaratorgans.com.au (can book there prior to 1st January.) Enq. Voi Williams 0429 327 097. From 5.30pm on Fri. 10th Annual Summer Music Camp at Harrietville (near Bright, NE Vic,). Whatever instrument you play, you can improve your skills on it at this brilliant music camp with decades of history. No instrument? There is also a choral group! Expert tutors in all the full orchestral, chamber groups, concert band and choral repertoires. 2020 tutors are: Gerald Keunemann OAM (lower strings At “Mountain View”), Doug Heywood OAM (choral), Philip Carrington (upper strings), Liz Barcan at Harrietville, NE Vic; (flutes), Robert Millar (oboes), David Laity (clarinets), Gennady Slavsky (bassoons), Geoff Earle (saxophones/big band), Alexandra Cameron (brass). Enthusiastic learners are welcome, but the ability to sightread at AMEB Grade 4 level or thereabouts would make your life easier. There are also many social events, some free time and public concerts. Tuition cost is: Full $715, Seniors/fulltime students $660, pensions/HCC $600. You may arrange independent local accommodation/meals if you wish, but to have your accommodation and all meals at the camp, the cost is as follows :- Twin share with ensuite $720; dormitory room (4 or 5 beds) with ensuite $610 (It might seem expensive,but it’s a great 9 day holiday you will never forget with very talented musicians of all ages there.) Full program and booking details can be seen on www.harrietvillemusiccamp2020/brochure.And phone enquiries can be made to Sally on 9898 6809. This year, bookings are going well and Upper Strings players and Choristers are particularly encouraged. (If you choose to camp or stay elsewhere, you can still have meals at MusicCamp.)
- Sat 11, 6pm-10pm PortFairy South West Street Rodders - Rock n Roll band on Fiddlers Green. FREE
- Sun 12, 1pm-5pm Port Fairy Arty Hoey. Country music on Fiddlers Green FREE
- Sat 18,11am-12 Port Fairy Gavin Franklin – “Summer Music” on Fiddlers Green FREE
- Sun 19, 11am-12 Port Fairy Warrnambool Ukulele Group on Fiddlers Green FREE
- Sun 19, 1pm-2pm Port Fairy Flynn Gurry on Fiddlers Green FREE
- Sun 19, 2pm-3pm Port Fairy Andrea Weel on Fiddlers Green FREE
- Mon 20, 10am-11 Port Fairy Dazzlin’ Don, Magician on Fiddlers Green FREE
- Mon 20, Noon-1pm Port Fairy The Seaside Singers on Fiddlers Green FREE
- Mon 20, 1pm-2pm Port Fairy Dazzlin’ Don, Magician on Fiddlers Green FREE (2nd show)
- Wed 22, 11.30am-1.30 PtFairy Wednesday Whistlers on Fiddlers Green FREE
- Fri 24, 2pm-4pm Port Fairy Since Tuesday Popular award-winning young group on Fiddlers Green FREE
- Sat 25, 1pm-2pm Port Fairy Flynn Gurry on Fiddlers Green FREE
- Sun 26, Port Fairy “Dirty Girdy” 2 sessions about 11.30am & 1.30pm, depending on time of Australia Day ceremony. On Fiddlers Green FREE
- Thurs 30, 7.30pm Hamilton “Aladdin”, also “A Christmas Carol”. Dramus Theatre production at Hadden
- Fri 31, 7.30pm Theatre, BrownSt. $25, $20 (Christmas pantomimes postponed) 0418 144 152
- Sat 1, 8pm LHT Wbl The Piano Men. Music of Elton John & Billy Joel $59 adult, 50 for all concessions (Pension, Under 13 or Group of 10 or more)
- Sat 1, 7.30pm Hamilton “Aladdin”, also “A Christmas Carol”. Dramus Theatre production at Hadden
- Sun 2, "Aladdin" on Sunday 2nd Feb. matinee starts at 2pm. Theatre, BrownSt. (Christmas pantomimes postponed) $25, $20 0418 144 152
AND THE WINNER IS…. Afternon Tea for Two at Edwards Waterfront Restaurant was won by Christine Judd from Mt. Gambier, whose number was drawn from those who renewed their sub. by 30th September.
“MOYNEYANA” FESTIVAL IN PORT FAIRY. As you see from the calendar, the good folk of Port Fairy have again excelled themselves to engage holiday entertainment for the vast number of visitors during the holiday season up to Australia Day. The Quick Notes entries only cover mostly musical events, but there are lots of other attractions to suit all ages around the town as well. To receive the full program, contact the Visitor Information Centre on 55 682 682 or see Moyneyana website which will be detailing the full program very soon.
TIN SHED SINGERS under the direction of Philip Shaw, have had a great year with numerous appearances not to mention entertaining rehearsals and the odd pizza. They sang some sea shanties in the Capital cinema, Warrnambool, for the initial screening of “Fishermen’s Friends” which is a new film about 10 fishermen who become a singing group. The “Sheddies” as they term themselves, have enjoyed a rising membership lately.
PORTLAND CITIZENS’ BRASS BAND is having its usual hectic December schedule, with performances of carols and other music at the opening of the new Baptist church (160th celebration) on 1/12, on the cable trams with Santa (15th and 21st), Heywood Christmas on the lawns (20th). There will also be pop-up performances at local nursing homes on 15th when the band will divide into 3 ensembles for simultaneous performances after playing for the morning service at the Presbyterian church. Emma Thompson is their conductor.
If you have the internet, the Mount Gambier Band championships (quickstep parade and afternoon of competition) can be seen in their red uniforms at www.brassedbanned.com. Of the D grade bands, Portland won the championship with highest marks in all 4 pieces (hymn, march “Barnard Castle”, major work & entertainment piece). They won the Frank Thompson Memorial Award. Geelong West won B Grade and the C Grade winner was Mt. Gambier.
- Sun 8th December “Christmas on the Trains” Hamilton Model Railway presents a family fun Christmas. 11am-3pm Picnic Day on the miniature railway, with sausage sizzle, music and other fun to enjoy. Santa arrives on his festive train at 2pm. Venue: Pastoral Museum Dundas Block, Hiller Lane,Hamilton. Free entry. Unlimited rides $10 incl. sausage & drink Enq. 0407 951 371. Facebook: Hamilton Model Railway Museum.
- Friday 13th Dec. Coleraine Christmas Carnival & Street Parade.At 6-10pm, Great family event with a parade, large range of sideshows, stalls, music entertainment and food to suit all ages. Venue: Town Square & Whyte St, Coleraine. Cost-free. Phone 0408 394 965. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Friday 13th Dec. Hamilton Carols by Candlelight. Bring the family to enjoy free games, crafts and kids’ entertainment from 6-7.30pm and stay for the carols from 8 – 9.30pm by local choirs, a children’s choir, soloists and groups from 8pm. BYO picnic, chairs/rug with food and coffee available to purchase. Venue: Hamilton Botanic Gardens, Thompson St. Cost-free. Phone 0477 932 607. Email: email@example.com. Facebook: Hamilton Carols by Candlelight. Wet weather venue: Peace Memorial Hall, Presbyterian Church, McIntyre St.
- Sun. 15th 1.30pm Showcase 2019 – Tara’s Music School Some of Hamilton’s most promising and talented music students perform well-known tunes in this entertaining afternoon for all ages. Venue: Hamilton Performing Arts Centre. Tickets at the door. Adult $15, School-age $10. Enq. 5573 0429. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Friday 20th Dec. Tarrington Community Carols at Tarrington Community Park, Hamilton Highway. Bring a picnic tea to eat from 6.30pm and enjoy festive carols from 7pm – 8.30 with guest sketch artist Linton Allen. BYO chair or rug. Cost: free. Enq. 0438 321 261. Email: email@example.com Facebook: Hello Tarrington.
- Tues 31st Dec. Rotary Street Party & Greater Hamilton New Year’s Eve Fireworks. Annual family-friendly street party with live music, entertainment, children’s activities, Amusement rides, food and drinks plus a raffle. Party concludes prior to the Southern Grampians Shire Council’s spectacular fireworks display at 10.30pm. Cost: free. Venue: Melville Oval netball courts, Lonsdale St, Hamilton. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Facebook: Rotary Club of Hamilton North.
…and now some musical funnies to finish…..The legendary wit of English conductor Sir Thomas Beecham includes these gems:
- To a trombone player “Are you producing as much sound as possible from that quaint and antique drainage system which you are applying to your face?”
- A musician playing a tuba made a deep shake on the wrong note. Beecham roared “Thank you, and now will you pull the chain?”
PS. AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR TOO ! June