Community Music Victoria believes that everyone has the need, right and capacity to make music
Making music together can be a fantastically joyful experience with profound potential to enhance many individual and community capacities. Society should actively encourage, facilitate and promote music-making among its citizens and their children because:
- making music together is the foundation of social connection.
- music carries our culture - our memories, stories, identities, values and hopes.
- when people lose their music they lose their voice, and often their sense of connection to the society in which they live.
- when people make music together they transcend the differences between them.
- through music we can restore the practices of the everyday arts which fulfill the basic human needs for free and creative expression, connectedness and participation. Music-making is an everyday art which does this, particularly in groups.
- making music together creates a crucible in which people can experience and productively channel the synergy which results from collaborative effort.
Underpinning these beliefs, Community Music Victoria is guided by a set of values that are explicit in everything we do: our workshops and publications, events and relationships. They are constantly re-visited and negotiable. They are captured in the following words:
It is our values that have inspired people to participate in our singing and music leadership programs and to express the feeling that they have “come home” when they get together.